The charity and not for profit sector has its own unique issues. These include raising funds, which in turn affects the ability to hire/retain/train staff and deliver services; the employment of volunteer staff and the need to employ suitably qualified staff, yet not always being in a position to offer salary packages equivalent to those on offer in the corporate field. The challenge of working with volunteers. The challenge of communicating in a foreign language, personal safety, dealing with different cultural norms and hygiene issues if working in some countries overseas. These issues and many others have the capacity to impact marriages and family. At this time there is also the very great challenges that have occurred as a result of the virus – some towns and states in lockdown, overseas travel prevented, income streams affected if supporters become unemployed or businesses close, increased needs in the community, the need to comply with government regulations to help stop the spread of the virus, strain on relationships – including family. All cause for urgent and on-going prayer. Please pray. Thank God that He is in control, knows all things and please pray that good will come out of this pandemic. Please pray that churches work together in unity to ensure that they supply effective community and family connecting centres open to all in need.
- Thank God for those who willingly volunteer in this sector. Pray that God would strengthen them as they serve with patience, mercy and grace. Pray that such works of charity would not be a cause for discord in their own family. Pray for safety for them and wisdom.
- Pray for those who work for a charity, voluntary organisation or a Christian pressure group; that God would direct their paths as they earnestly seek to do His will for them both at work and at home. Jer 29:11. Pray that God would continue to provide for their need.
- Pray that the Lord would help those who work in the charity and not-for-profit sector to be sensitive to the needs of their own family, to be interested in their day and understanding of the challenges they might be facing. Pray they would set aside the many challenges they might have faced in their work and give quality time to their spouse and family.
- Pray for the health of those in this sector – that they may understand that their health is very important, then they can better take care of others. Pray that they set firm boundaries between their work and their home life.
Charity workers who work directly with clients experiencing issues such as trauma or severe mental health challenges, are at particular risk, as they hear their stories and work to ensure that both they and clients are covid safe. Please pray that their spouse and family would work to ensure that the home is a calm, safe environment capable of washing away stress and that those employed in these sectors would, most importantly, have the ability to manage their emotions and relations with others. Prov 3:5
- Pray for family relationships – that there is a healthy give-and-take when dealing with family concerns if they work far away. That all would not yield to temptation, and walk in integrity. 1 Cor 10:13, Prov 10:9
- Pray that those in authority in this domain would be faithful to their spouse, guide their children wisely and administer their own houses well. Pray for wisdom for them to comply with the various Government requirements and for Governments to exercise wisdom when making them. 1 Tim 3.
- Pray to God that all involved – donors, staff, beneficiaries of the services offered etc – are treated with humility, wisdom and respect and that same culture flows to and from their family life. 1 Peter 2:17.
A charity is a custodian of donor money. Please pray that funds would be spent wisely and in accordance with the use for which the funds were raised. Pray that there would be transparency and integrity in all matters in the charity & not-for-profit sector, and also in the employees, boards/trustees and employers relationships with their spouse and family.
“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” Phil 4:6 KJV