The primary meaning of science, as given by Webster, is: “Knowledge of principles and causes: ascertained truths or facts.” Galileo Galilei is quoted as saying:
“The glory and greatness of Almighty God are marvellously discerned in all his works and divinely read in the open book of heaven. For let no one believe that reading the lofty concepts written in that book leads to nothing further than the mere seeing of the splendour of the sun and the stars and their rising and setting, which is as far as the eyes of brutes and of the vulgar can penetrate” By generating new knowledge and research, science helps to provide solutions to national and global health and other challenges, which relies on the integrity of the science on which it relies. This is especially true at this time when governments are dealing with the covid pandemic.
Like any other gift that God has given, science can be used to accomplish good or evil. Please pray that science is used to care for God’s creation and the world and leads many to acknowledge God’s role in creation, His existence, and that God created the natural family to care for the earth (Gen 2:15). Pray for wisdom and righteousness in the allocation of government funding.
- Pray for medical staff who suffer from emotional traumas that come along with their jobs. Matthew 11:28-30. Pray that they take care of themselves physically and mentally and ensure they spend that quality time with their own family. Pray for their spouse and family.
- Pray for wisdom for our government, health professionals, and advisers as they seek the right reforms and funding for the health care system, especially for palliative care, Jm 1:5. Pray that they value all life, regardless of age, location, background or health. Pray for faithfulness in their marriage.
- Pray our healthcare professionals will not succumb to worldly pressures to yield to temptation; but they remain committed to their oath to “do no harm.” Deuteronomy 5:17. Pray against the spirit of murder and abortion, that is silently killing millions of unborn babies. Pray that those engaging in abortion both father and mother of the unborn, will be arrested by conviction of The Holy Spirit. Pray that doctors who perform abortion will be convicted and this injustice against the unborn would ceases.
- Pray that the homes of those working in healthcare would provide them with a sanctuary from their work and that truth and faithfulness would be their constant guide.
With the increase in lifespan may come pressure on families to cater for needs of elderly family members. Pray that all involved respect the wisdom of older people, and treat them with dignity. Exodus 20:12. Pray that marriage and family bonds will be strengthened. Pray that society does not automatically sit back and expect government agencies to take over the responsibility to love and protect the vulnerable. Pray for the re-establishing of churches as effective community and family connecting centres.
- Pray for scientists doing research, that scientific data is not falsified/manipulated to produce the conclusion wanted. With pressure to produce results some scientists may find themselves in a situation where they feel they must abuse the system, maybe to obtain promotion or financial gain, their boss or the desires or constraints of family. Proverbs 12:22.
Give thanks and praise for all those who work in the health care industry and for the gifts that God has given them. Thank Him for the sacrifice many make in order to ensure that quality care is available and given. Thank God for the families who support them. Pray for protection for them all and their relationships.
Some patients and their families are often already dealing with deep issues such as pain, fear, anger, confusion, loss and death. Pray that all involved in their care are compassionate, humble and wise as they minister. Colossians 3:12.
- Pray for sexual purity in all levels of health care, including aged care facilities, and in the nation.
- Pray for healing in marriages fractured by affairs, alcoholism, pornography, drug addictions and other vices the enemy uses to tear husbands and wives apart.
- Pray for those who have family members living at home who need assistance &/or nursing. Pray that they would receive the support they need from the health care industry, that they would have access to quality respite care when needed and that there is understanding, compassion and loving support between family members. Pray that relationships in the family are not neglected.
“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” Phil 4:6 KJV