For some sport has become a god to which much has been sacrificed – time, money, integrity, family to name but a few. Ball tampering in cricket, match fixing, performance enhancing drugs, unfaithfulness in marriage, fornication have all shown up in sport. Yet also there have been acts of kindness and compassion. In themselves sport and physical recreation are good things when used to exercise bodies and minds, competing or supporting and encouraging those who do. Sports and recreational activities often bring people together,letting them bond in a non-threatening way, and opening incredible doors to the Gospel. Christian team coaches and team chaplains can teach discipline and values from a biblical perspective. Christians are ambassadors for Christ and should ensure that they do not engage in any sport or recreation they would not want to be found in when Christ returns.
- Pray for all involved with transgender issues, that the sporting arena would remain a safe place for women and truth would prevail.
- Pray that Christian athletes, mindful of sport’s temptation to pride, use their special gifts and talents to bring glory to God, giving thanks and praise to God & honouring the sacrifices made by their families on their behalf.
- Pray for courage & wisdom for Christian athletes humbly to witness to others, especially young people. These young people might then share the gospel message with their parents. (Matt 10:15)
- Pray that families would be places where integrity, humility and kindness are valued, and winning at all costs is shunned, especially in the sporting arena.
- Pray that parents, schools and coaches would teach honour and respect to those in the field of sport as well as courage and humility.
- Pray that youth, schools and parents would be taught, both at school and at home, that it is not a disgrace to lose as long as all have done their best.
- Pray that those involved in the sport industry would work together to ensure that matches are family friendly whether watched live or through media – that the culture of drug use, alcohol abuse, verbal abuse, and worship of the body would be removed from this industry.
- Pray that families would exercise wisdom when deciding which sports & recreation become part of their family life – those which display Godly lifestyles, behaviors and values.(Prov 4:20-27)
- Pray for the marriages of all involved in competitive sports, that spouses would resist temptation, that decisions made would be in agreement, and that they would put their marriage and any children first.
- Pray for the whole of professional sports – athletes, coaches, chaplains, sponsors, sports commentators, media, supporters and families – that it will be used as a medium to teach ethics, responsibility, and good values. (Hebrews 12:1-2)
- Pray that those who take part in sport refuse to portray anything that dishonours God or their marriage.
“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.”Phil 4:6 KJV