A look at the management of many successful companies reveals that their leaders, whether Christian or not, maintain high ethical standards and deal fairly, often serving employees or customers first, and are good stewards of company finances. The principles of fair value, serving others and stewardship have clear biblical origins, but are more commonly known today as best business practices. The Bible Is a good manual for businesses, and successful businesses adhere to those principles with biblical origins.
Pray that all businesses, both large and small, would have a culture of respect for all – bosses, employees, suppliers, customers and the Government. Pray that, where possible, employers would be flexible when accommodating the family needs of their employees.
Thank God for those who endeavour to live out their faith in the marketplace and the families who support them. Pray for courage, favour and wisdom for them in their work and for protection for them from all evil.
The business community is also an opportunity for God’s people to serve others and Him. Pray for the traditional marriages of those in employment – both bosses and employees. Prv 2:6-8.
- Pray for married couples and all who are experiencing financial hardship, that they would be wisely mentored through this time, and work together as a team, encouraging one another. Pray that those involved in the finance industry who are responsible for lending monies, would be wise in their response to those seeking finance.
- Pray for married couples and all who are experiencing unemployment – that there would be no anger or unforgiveness, only peace of mind. That God would lead them to the right job, where they would feel valued. That their family would continue to respect and support them during this time. Jer 29:11.
- Pray that married couples and all in the workforce would give thanks when they have paid employment. 1 Thes 5:18.
- Pray that married couples would have, & keep to, a budget which they agree to amend only by mutual agreement. Prv 21:20.
- Pray for those marriages where there is ownership of a business and for all other business owners – that their business dealings would be guided by integrity and generosity, acknowledging the value of, and respecting their employees, customers and suppliers. Phil 2:3-4.
- Pray that couples would not give their families the ‘left-overs’ in terms of time and attention at the end of their working day.
- Pray for families where one spouse has extended periods away from home through their employment – that they would keep communication open between them and couples would keep romance alive. 1 Thes 3:12.
- Pray for all those in a traditional marriages – that they would avoid temptation and be faithful to their marriage vows, that they would always avoid being alone with someone of the opposite gender. 1 Cor 15:33.
- Pray that the church would be a place of equipping, support and encouragement for those Christians who work in the marketplace.
“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” (Philippians 4:6 (KJV))