The concentration of media ownership in Australia is one of the highest in the world and its power and influence can be used for either good or evil. The entertainment industry can be used to model vices such as materialism, promiscuity, substance abuse, and violence, but also can be used to model that which is good and wholesome.
Lord, on behalf of these groups, we ask your forgiveness where ego, pride and the love of money may have interfered with the truth and integrity of their work and creativity. Mark 7:21-22.
- Please pray for the spouses and families of those whose loved ones are foreign correspondents who often face dangers in covering war and terror, including kidnap, tropical diseases and even death. Pray for the safety of these journalists and camera crew, and that they would be committed to accuracy and integrity; telling both sides of the story. Please pray for protection for them from traumatic stress. John 14:27.
- Pray for the spouses and families of reporters who report on crime & corruption. Both they and their loved one may be threatened, bullied, receive hate mail and encounter danger with this work. Pray for the safety of these journalists and camera crew and that they would be bold to confront evil and injustice with understanding and compassion for human weakness.
- Journalists may be called to work long hours and keep their ‘phones on. It often requires courage, strength and resilience to tell the stories they find. Proverbs 22:21. Please pray for them and their relationships and marriages, which often may suffer due to this workload. Pray they would find ways to put their spouse and any dependent children first.
- Pray that God would show families any areas where they have allowed unhealthy influences to come into their homes through the entertainment and media industries. This might include watching morally inappropriate movies, failing to control what is seen and heard in their homes or using the tv as a ‘nanny’ for the children. Proverbs 22:6. Pray that they would repent of all such sin. Pray for wisdom and discernment for families as they seek wholesome and acceptable alternatives for themselves and their families. Hebrews 5:14.
- Pray that the people of these industries seek to make the world a better place; replacing division, judgement and blame with love, empathy and understanding. That this would also be the hallmark of their homes. Give thanks and praise for those who do.
- Pray for the marriages of those who work in the media and entertainment industries. Pray that couples would be faithful to each other,encouraging one another in love; not given to lust, lewdness, drunkenness or deceit. Pray that they would be helped to resist all attempts physical or spiritual to destroy their marriage. Proverbs 5:15.
- Pray that more of Hollywood’s celebrities and their marriages will be worthy of our respect and admiration as they work under many pressures. Psalm 84:15.
- Pray for those entertainers who testify as to the importance of their families and their faith, that the Lord strengthens and emboldens them and grants them favour.
- Thank the Lord for the media & entertainment industries. Pray that God raises up media moguls, staff members and executives who are committed to accuracy and integrity in television, radio and print mediums and know the stability of a loving home.
- Pray that God would convict the consciences of those who create, distribute, and profit from media that is ungodly; that they might see the damage they have done to individuals and families, and turn from their shameful ways. Proverbs 28:6